Appleton Partners is excited to announce that our Santa Barbara Firm is part of this year’s 2022 ArchitecTours.
Please join us Saturday, October 1st in touring these amazing projects. Tickets can be purchased from the link here.
In addition, Appleton Partners will be holding an exclusive book signing with Marc Appleton for the ArchitecTour Attendees,
from 11am to 12pm at The Marc Appleton Library.
Edwards & Plunkett; Eric Smith; Appleton Partners LLP
Brent Sumner, Appleton Partners LLP
Smith Engineering Associates; Gold West Construction
APPLETON PARTNERS LLP OFFICES & THE MARC APPLETON LIBRARY
911 Chapala Street, Santa Barbara
The new location of the offices and architectural library of Appleton Partners LLP, Architects is comprised of three buildings.
Hollister Estate Office. Edwards & Plunkett, 1931
Addition, Edwards & Wade, 1947
911 Chapala Street
Each structure has a distinct history. In 1931, descendants of Colonel William Wells Hollister, hired architectural firm Edwards and Plunkett to design a Spanish Colonial styled brick building with porches and open garage for their family’s office. The Santa Barbara Construction Company was the builder. The building was awarded First Place in the Distinguished Architecture award from the Community Arts Association for 1931, and featured in The Architect and Engineer, in March 1932.
In January 1947, the firm Edwards and Wade were hired to add medical offices, a laboratory and exam rooms for Doctors C. Hollister and C. Campbell, pediatricians. Eric Smith was the builder. Later it was used as a realty company in the 1980s, the open garage at the rear of the property was converted into office space. In April 2019, Appleton Partners purchased and restored this structure. The building is on the City of Santa Barbara Potential Historic Resources List.
James D. Crawford Realtor Office. Winsor Soule, 1936
919 Chapala Street
In 1936, realtor James D. Crawford hired architects Winsor Soule and John Frederick Murphey to design a Spanish Colonial Revival building. Harry Graham was the builder for the reinforced concrete structure. The building’s most distinguishing feature is its large, engaged Doric columns. The revival motif is carried through in the building’s stucco trim band, terra cotta tile roof, and decorative color tile wainscot which remains unchanged. Over the years it has housed various commercial businesses, most recently a beauty salon. Appleton Partners transformed the interior for Marc Appleton’s architectural library. The building was designated a Structure of Merit on November 29, 2017